After another wonderful and fulfilling year at Cornish College, we are proud to once again celebrate the successes of our students upon completion of their Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE). This year’s cohort of Year 12 students are to be congratulated on their achievements, their resilience and their commitment to being the well-rounded and well-grounded young people we are so proud of.
Today, along with their VCE subject results, our Year 12s also received their Australian Tertiary Admissions Rank (ATAR). The ATAR will provide many of our students with an avenue for entry into tertiary study. Whilst receiving this score is significant for students, we also recognise those students who have already secured steps toward their desired pathways and passions. These include successful uptake of apprenticeships, early entry offers for tertiary education for a number of students and immediate employment for others. We will provide an update on the post-secondary destinations of our Year 12 cohort early in 2024.
Here is a snapshot of results and achievements from the wonderful group of students who completed Year 12 at Cornish College this year:
- Six Cornish College students (11% of the cohort) achieved ATARs above 90, placing those students in the top 10% of the state
- 19% of our students received an ATAR of 85 or higher, placing them in the top 15% of the state
- Amongst the key improvements this year were our school’s results in Mathematics (both Mathematical Methods and Specialist Mathematics), English and a range of subjects across the broader curriculum, including the languages, visual arts and humanities
- We are delighted to announce that our 2023 Dux is Orlando Schwerdt with an ATAR of 97.55. Over two years of his VCE, Orlando successfully completed the following Units 3 and 4 studies; English, English Literature, French, General Mathematics, Mathematical Methods and Theatre Studies
- Joining Orlando Schwerdt with scores above 90 are (pictured below):
- Mailli Atkins
- Ebony Ingram
- Sarah Killeen
- Samantha Moloney
- Matilda Sinclair
- Congratulations to the students who achieved study scores of 40 or above, placing them in the top 8% of the state for those subjects:
- Mailli Atkins – Music Contemporary Performance
- Tara Covey – English
- Sebastian Bearsley – General Mathematics
- Sarah Killeen – English, Psychology
- Samantha Moloney – Environmental Science
- Siena De Nardis – Business Management
- Orlando Schwerdt – Literature, General Mathematics, English
- Matilda Sinclair – English
- Aaron Voulgaris – Mathematical Methods
In addition to all our Year 12 students successfully achieving their VCE, we congratulate three students; Orlando Schwerdt, Matilda Sinclair and Jarrod Oakley who also achieved the VCE Baccalaureate. This provides additional recognition for students who choose to undertake the demands of studying both a higher level mathematics and a language in their VCE program along with achieving a study score above 30 in English.
As a community, we are all the richer for every Year 12 student who contributed to our school this year, whether that be through their hard-work and dedication to studies, their commitment to upholding the College’s values or their willingness to make a difference and be the difference.
As always, we view our students’ successes as testament to our committed community with input from teachers and staff from Early Childhood through to VCE. We acknowledge the commitment from the families who work with us to support these young people in all of their endeavours.
This year we farewell a class of critical thinkers and problem solvers, each one talented in their own way and ready to take on the world with the ‘Cornish confidence’ that we have nurtured in them over time.